Subject: Re: Voice over IP packages?
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/05/2001 02:35:57
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Bruce Martin wrote:

> Are there any packages that support voice over IP under NetBSD? If not, has
> anybody used any simple (i.e. do not have to connect through a specialized
> server in another country!) VoIP tools under other Operating Systems?

I have used OpenH323 under Debian Linux to talk to someone using a
Microsoft NetMeeting. H. 323 is a teleconferencing protocol.
http://www.openh323.org/

I haven't used under NetBSD, but I am interested in using SpeakFreely:
 http://www.speakfreely.org/
 http://www.germane-software.com/SpeakFreely/
 http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/windows/

Another idea (which I also haven't tried):
Ztalk: http://www.starfleet.com/liem/work/ztalk-FAQ.html

I have used Ogg Vorbis to stream my voice to another computer. I used dd
to get my microphone input, then sox to convert it to a WAV and then used
oggenc to compress it on the fly when another system requested it via port
80 with ogg123. The server is basically a simple shell script ran via
inetd. Now I just want to do it so a remote user can listen to me talk
live! It should be simple, and they can implement the same on their
computer to talk back and forth.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/