Subject: Re: best way to speed up "vi"
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Ras-Sol <ras-sol@usa.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/02/2001 18:55:15
Ok, this actually happens on my FreeBSD system, but maybe I'l just throw it
out here for fun-
(Don't wanna resub to the FreeBSD lists)

But my "slow vi" problem is only on bootup, when it's "recovering vi editor
sessions"-
This box is a 486-50, and works perfectly as a router/nat box, but goddamn-
Sometimes when it boots, it sits at "recovering vi editor sessions" for
about 5 minutes.
Other times, it takes 10 seconds (regardless of any vi usage as far as I
could tell)
I have done the usual homework and can not find out exactly what is
happening in this part of the bootup sequence-
Any ideas?
Or is this a FreeBSD-specific issue?
--

"Behold the illusion of control..."