Subject: Home directory permissions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Low <uberfrogus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/2001 04:44:09
Hi, all. Could anybody kindly tell me, is there any
way to change the default permissions of the home
directories created when adding users (useradd -m
joebloggs)? Also--forgive the newbie question--I'd
like to set the default permissions to 700 (rwx------)
instead of the default 755 (rwxr-xr-x); is this a
common thing to do? It seems odd that the default
would be to allow users to go perusing each other's
files. Or is it standard practice to have a "private"
directory inside a publicly-accessible home directory?
I realize what I'm trying to do takes away the ability
to have shared directories (eg user web pages), but
I'm wondering if it's otherwise a bad idea. Thanks for
the help.

Ryan