Subject: Re: how similar is netbsd to other unix clones
To: JD, Venugopal (CORP, CIM, OMC) <Venugopal.JD@geind.ge.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/28/2000 19:45:21
On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:09:18AM +0530, JD, Venugopal (CORP, CIM, OMC) wrote:
> hi,
> I am a newbie and would like to know how similar is NETBSD to other unix
> like OSes as some of my friends who are working on solaris say that there is
> a lot of difference in the command syntax of the two for example in solaris
> to add a package the command used is pkgadd whereas for netbsd it is
> pkg_add.Similarly for telnet the root account can login to the telnet
> session in solaris whereas for netbsd the root cannot login.

The second point is just a matter of config. You can make NetBSD accept root
login from telnet, or make Solaris refuse it.
Also a few commands have different syntax or options. But both are
Unix and works in the same way. Just use the online manual page when you
have something which doesn't behave the way you want :)