Subject: Re: sgml to html
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <bsd@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/27/2000 12:31:26
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Michael Neumann wrote:

> The only tool I know which is able to convert SGML to HTML
> is Jade (pkgsrc/textproc/jade).
> Jade is a DSSSL processor, something like XSL (for XML).

Thanks. I installed Jade, but it has no manual page, plus the
documentation at /usr/pkg/share/doc/jade/ doesn't even mention Jade. I did
find basic documentation at http://www.jclark.com/jade/, but it doesn't
show much.

I don't know DSSSL and I don't know Jade. Is there some simple
command-line usage of Jade (or some other tool) where I can do something
like the following?

  sgml2html < foo.sgml > foo.html

> Also have a look at "docbook" which is a doctype of SGML, and there
> are dsssl-scripts to convert it into HTML (as well as tex, rtf etc...).

Thanks. I also have a look at this. I have heard a lot about docbook,
maybe this is a good time to get started with it.

(The amount of time I have spent looking for a sgml to html converter I
could have written a script in perl or used sed to partially do what I
need.)

> > I have a few sgml documents that I want to convert to html. Does anyone
> > know where I can find a simple sgml2html tool?
> >
> > I did see some sgml-related packages under the pkgsrc textproc category,
> > but I couldn't tell if any were applicable. Any suggestions?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/