Subject: Re: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! and other spam
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/26/2000 08:52:42
> Hahaha, whoever he or she is, should know that people on NetBSD lists
> (1) are smart enough to be aware of the dangers of running strange attachments
> (could be a virus or Trojan horse),
> (2) might not be able to run the attachment at all.

I believe that the "snow white" spam is actually generated by a virus
that mails itself to other folks listed in some infected user's
address book.

So depending on how you want to look at it, you can add to your list
that the sending user is "(1) foolish enough to run an OS that
protects all the system files with 666 or 777 permissions. (2) foolish
enough to execute random binary code received in email, or to run a
mailer that does the above for them."

My spam complaints to the abuse@msn.net and abuse@microsoft.com
domains have always been bounced back as including no headers.  Seems
that they don't think it is safe to read messages that contain mime
attachments without potentially *executing* code contained in the mime
attachments.  How interesting.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>