Subject: Re: Keyboard encoding and 1.4.1 compatibility in 1.5
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/2000 21:45:13
On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:13:46PM +0100, anders2@dinsen.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm installing NetBSD 1.5 on a new computer. Since I use a Danish
> > keyboard, i'd like to run wsconsctl -w encoding=dk on startup. It seems
> > that the /etc/rc.d/wscons script has no support for that. Is that not a
> > bug?
>
> Can't check rigth now, I'm offline on a 1.4 system :)

Trere's pr 11735 on this issue. Sorry for asking.

> > Also: My NetBSD-1.4.1 binaries all core dump with a floating point
> > exception. Even as simple a program as touch(1). I'm still running the
> > GENERIC kernel.
>
> Do you have the proper shared libraries in /emul/aout ?

What shared libs? (sorry for sounding stupid), I've just got a plain
install of NetBSD 1.5/i386.

Okay, I've searched the mailing lists for this and found a hint of it in a
message from March (about running legacy a.out on -current). I'm very
sorry to say this, but I really think it is a big (usability) problem that
this is not explained in more detail in the install notes. INSTALL(8) just
says (about changes to i386): "Migration to ELF binary format from a.out.
You can still use your pre-1.5 a.out applications, though."

And again in a paragraph below it is mentioned that its compatible if I
compile a proper kernel. ELF is a big change, so I think this should be
made much more clear.

I did'nt have COMPAT_AOUT in my kernel, so I'm trying that first. If that
helps I'll submit a PR on this (documentation).

Thanks,

--
Anders Dinsen
anders@dinsen.net