Subject: Re: RAIDFrame question
To: Martin Cernohorsky <cerno@ics.muni.cz>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/2000 10:25:03
On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 06:43:16PM +0100, Martin Cernohorsky wrote:

 >  o Are the /dev/raid?d partitions supposed for any filesystem usage,
 >    or have I made an error and they should be reserved like on regular
 >    disks?

The "d" partition on the x86 ("c" on most other platforms) is generally
used as a control device.  You can use it for file systems, but it does
conflict with things like RAIDframe's control interface.

 >  o If it is recomended to not use the d partition, can I simply
 >    change the partition by editing the disklabel marking the d partition
 >    unused and the, for example, a partition (also whole disk) containing
 >    the data without the risk of corrupting already existing filesystem
 >    on the /dev/raid0d?

Yes, you could simply create an "a" partition with the same parameters
as the "d" partition and start using that, and all should work fine.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>