Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 sysinst problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Dave Chapman <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/12/2000 17:06:32
On 12 Dec 2000, at 20:48, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:48:16 +0100
From:           	Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
To:             	Dave Chapman <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca>
Copies to:      	netbsd-help@netbsd.org
Subject:        	Re: NetBSD 1.5 sysinst problem

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:46:33AM -0800, Dave Chapman wrote:
> > I want to upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.5, so I made 2 boot floppies and
> > when sysinst started chose to upgrade. I was then told that sysinst
> > had found sd0, sd1, and sd2 and asked which drive to use.  I told it
> > sd1 which is where NetBSD 1.4.2 is installed.  Something flicks on
> > the screen to fast to read, then I get a message that sd3h is not a
> > NetBSD drive or that fsck has failed.  The install then aborts.
> >
> > Help?
>
> Remove any mount that isn't on sd1 or is not a FFS from the fstab
> before doing the upgrade.

This problem occurs after booting from floppy (boot1.fs & boot2.fs).
Do I have to physically disconnect any drive beyond sd2?

Do I have to use sysinst?  Could I just boot into single user mode of
my current version (or using the above floppy set) and extract the
binary distribution of 1.5 over top of the current version?
cd /
tar -zxvf <path><filename.tgz>

  Thanks,
    Dave Chapman