Subject: Re: scsi-adapters
To: Frank <frank@cfn.de>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/2000 02:29:05
Frank <frank@cfn.de> writes:

>I need a new scsi ultra-wide controller.Can anybody help me?
>Unfortunately I can't afford to buy an adaptec.Somebody told
>me that Advance controllers use chips from symbios logic.
>Therefore they should work with the symbios drivers.Can somebody
>confirm that?What about tekram or dawicontrol?(or symbios?)
>Of course i have searched the hardware data base.But i think it
>is more useful to ask somebody who works with these devices.
>The most important thing is that the controller works with
>Linux,NetBSD and OpenBSD(and Solaris)because i'm working with
>these systems.
>OK,i am new to *Bsd-systems,but i think it is better to work
>with different flavours of UNIX than to give my money to M$ .

Since you're in Germany as it appears, I recommend getting DawiControl
controllers; they usually have Symbios chips and work very well
for an excellent price.  I use the DC-2976 UW which NetBSD recognizes
as "Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)".
Since this is a very common chip, I would think it also works with
Linux and Solaris (and Win*, OS/2, Netware, of course).

	--mkb