Subject: Re: scsi-adapters
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/03/2000 14:22:20
In message <3A2AA667.4F91336C@linuxsystem.linuxnet.de>, Frank writes:
>I need a new scsi ultra-wide controller.Can anybody help me?
>Unfortunately I can't afford to buy an adaptec.Somebody told
>me that Advance controllers use chips from symbios logic.

I don't know about "Advance".  There's Advansys, which are their own brand,
but some people relabel them.  Symbios is cooler, mostly, but I have a machine
that can boot from an Advansys controller, but not from a Symbios or from an
Adaptec, due to memory allocation issues.

>Therefore they should work with the symbios drivers.Can somebody
>confirm that?What about tekram or dawicontrol?(or symbios?)

TekRam's DC390 series are fine; the DC395 is *NOT* compatible, though.

>The most important thing is that the controller works with
>Linux,NetBSD and OpenBSD(and Solaris)because i'm working with
>these systems.

I would recommend the TekRam DC390F, I believe that's the "standard" 3C875,
and it works with nearly everything.

>OK,i am new to *Bsd-systems,but i think it is better to work
>with different flavours of UNIX than to give my money to M$ .

Welcome aboard.

-s