Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2000 00:20:05
> > I don't remember which version of gPhoto I supposedly have.  I assumed
> > that it is the most recent/current (again, grabbed via CVS; the pkgsrc
 [...]
> Interesting.  I don't recall if I ever tried gphoto on my olympus.
> The gphoto interface is lifted from photopc, so it shouldn't be too
> hard to whack into shape.  (I thought photopc was very clean and easy
> to follow.)

The code appears to have diverged a bit.  gPhoto is trying to have unified
serial routines, for example (as near as I could tell from a limited
perusal).  gPhoto incorporates several digital-camera programs, so there's
a bit of redundant code that they seem to be eliminating this way.

I could probably hack the working photopc into gPhoto, but it would be
easier to put a Python or Tcl/Tk wrapper around photopc.  (^&  ...or just
keep using photopc from the command-line.

> > Re. JPEG data files: Are you saying that by a fairly simple tweak, I can
 [...]
> Yup.  Some good examples exist in:
>         /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jpeg/work/jpeg-6b/wrjpgcom.c
> and
> 	.../photopc/epinfo.c

Very interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

> > I assume that your statement about alkaline batteries not lasting more
> > than a minute is an exaggeration?
>
> I had *meant* to type something along the lines of a "a minute or
> two", but somewhere between brain and fingers it turned into "a
> minute".  I think I got 7 pictures out of my "freebee" alkaline set.

Ah.  I probably got at least a couple dozen on the Sanyo batteries.
Almost all with the backlit display on and several (a minority) with the
flash on (plus a fair bit of general monitor-the-LCD-display
time).  Nearly all at 1.3 megapixel.

> NiMH batteries and good chargers are still hard to find.  One package
> worth looking into is the following.  (I tried to order it once, but
> their SSL server wasn't up yet, so I declined their kind invitation to
> type my credit card info in clear text.)
>
> 	  http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c204f-4aa160dc.htm

How thoughtful of them to offer...  Thanks again for the tip.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu