Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: netbsd-help@netbsd.org, Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2000 23:21:25
(Sorry for no quotes; I read this list from the web-pages, so quoting is
hard to do if you don't include me in the To:/Cc:/Bcc: lists.)

Photopc 2.80(?), grabbed via CVS, works quite well.  It's not our pkgsrc
version, but it works.  (I am spoiled by pkgsrc and had to stumble my way
through aclocal, automake, and such...)

I don't remember which version of gPhoto I supposedly have.  I assumed
that it is the most recent/current (again, grabbed via CVS; the pkgsrc
version gave me no support).  The CVS'd version has a menu-option for the
Olympus 360L, but does not seem to talk to it.  (I think that I got a
couple of core-dumps, and a general reluctance to talk to my camera.)

The camera doesn't have a USB port; the USB option is a SmartMedia card
reader.  (And, I didn't really think much of the idea of a floppy-disk
adapter---I assume that I'd have to muck with the fdc driver, probably by
lying about the number of sectors per track---which sounds like a nasty
trick.  Besides, my main machine doesn't have a floppy disk drive.  (^&)

Re. JPEG data files: Are you saying that by a fairly simple tweak, I can
remove/add wrapper data and probably make the GIMP happy?  (So far, the
GIMP is the only program that balks at the files.  Everything else that
I've tried is happy to grok them.)

I assume that youre statement about alkaline batteries not lasting more
than a minute is an exaggeration?  The Sanyo alkaline batteries that
shipped with the camera lasted for over a minute by a long ways, even with
the display showing on the back.  New Duracell batters did not last nearly
as long, but did last more than a minute.  (I think that I was more
power-conscious, so I assume that Sanyo batteries just last better.)

The NiMH batteries are probably something that I'll want, though.  Thanks
for the suggestion.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu