Subject: Re: Telnet in NetBSD 1.4.2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2000 21:29:53
> "Kevin P. Neal" wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:05:53AM -0500, Shane A. Dawalt wrote:
> > >
> > >   I have found an odd problem with telnetd on NetBSD 1.4.2.  It gets
> > > irritated when connected to by Hummingbird 6.2.0 Telnet.  When I connect
> >
> > Same, except I'm using Hummingbird's eXceed's "HostExplorer" (version
> > 6.1.0) to telnet. Same software, different version. I am using NetBSD
> > 1.4.2 on an Alpha.
> >
> > > I get the normal user and password prompts, but then things hang.  I do
> >
> > Then you are doing well. For the longest time I couldn't get logged in.
> > I had no problems telneting (same client) to a Digital UNIX box and
> > then rlogining to my NetBSD box. But a direct telnet to the NetBSD box
> > would result in no end of problems. Of course, HostExplorer doesn't
> > support rlogin.

As a followup, using the -k option to telnetd did clear up my problems
with Hummingbird eXceed's HostExplorer.

When you all use the -k option to telnetd, do you add another telnetd on
a different port? Or do you just set the main port to be in kludge mode?
I created a new port, because I'm nervous about monkeying with telnetd.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994