Subject: Re: Can't establish ADSL connection
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2000 22:11:43
Laine Stump wrote:
> 1) Did you install from pkgsrc's net/rp-pppoe package? If not, do it that
>    way (rather than grabbing the package yourself and installing by hand).
>
> 2) Have you tried net/mouse-pppoe (again from pkgsrc)? This worked for
>    me with no problem other than the MTU being too high (I had to
>    re-add the default route with "-mtu 1400").
>
> I also built and installed rp-ppoe, but the configuration looked more
> involved than mouse-pppoe, so I never actually tried it.

Finally, I found it why it didn't work(!). The problem was in adsl-status
script:
case `uname -s` in
    *BSD)
	VARRUN="/etc/ppp"
	;;
    *)
	VARRUN="/var/run"
	;;

As you can see, adsl-status tries to find ppp?.pid files in /etc/ppp, but
with 1.5 release, the above doesn't work any more. pid files are placed in
/var/run just like in Linux. After commenting out the first *BSD) case, I
could successfully set up the ADSL connection. Anyway, thanks for your
comment.

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>