Subject: Re: iomega zip problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/19/2000 18:24:32
    Date:        Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:09:28 +0100
    From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>

  | Yes, that rigth. We don't support removable IDE devices, only ATAPI.

The ORB people must have done something right then (or perhaps "wrong"
enough that everything just works...)

pciide0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: CMD Technology PCI0646 (rev. 0x01)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL CR6.4A>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 6149 MB, 13328 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12594960 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4
wd1 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 1: <CASTLEWOOD ORB2-E>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd1: 2103 MB, 4273 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4307184 sectors
wd1: 32-bit data port
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
pciide0: primary channel interrupting at isa irq 14
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
[ a couple of cds live here ]

Aside from the annoying "wd1: no disk label" messages that appear
periodically (of course there's no label, there's no media...) everything
seems to just work (I use this as a place on which to stick backups).

For what its worth, I also use it as a place as DESTDIR for builds,
then I boot from it to test a new system version (then I can put that
system in the cupboard and test it again sometime later...).

Of course, this is probably little comfort to people with zip drives
(but you could trade up ... 100Mb/250Mb zip compared with 2GB ORB...)

All this is on an alpha, not that that should matter.

kre