Subject: Re: iomega zip problem
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/18/2000 15:09:28
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:11:39AM -0600, John Darrow wrote:
> Ugh, it looks like you've gotten stuck with one of the _original_ IDE ZIP
> drives, from back before they made them ATAPI compliant.  I had one once,
> and the only way I could use it under NetBSD was to have the disk in the
> drive during startup, and to shutdown before I ejected it.  Trying to
> insert a disk into an empty-booted drive while running, or using the manual
> eject lever (as the drive locked the eject function) would send the system
> into convulsions.  (I think part of that is that NetBSD doesn't support, or
> at least didn't support at the time, removable "true IDE" drives, only
> ATAPI stuff.)  Eventually, I gave this drive to a Winblows machine (which

Yes, that rigth. We don't support removable IDE devices, only ATAPI. This
shouldn't be too hard to add but I don't have the time to look at this rigth
now, I fear. Can you come back to me later on this ?

For now, booting with a media in the device, and making sure there's one each
time you try to access it should be a workaround.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>