Subject: Re: I have problems installing the PostgreSQL package
To: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2000 17:48:30
>What platform are you installing on and do you have the latest
>postgresql package? I'm using i386/ALPHA_2 here and just installed
>PosgreSQL 7.0.2 from the package system without any problem.

Sorry, I should have included that:
NetBSD 1.5_BETA2 i386
I got latest pkgsrc with sup a few days ago.

>Try doing a make clean or make distclean in the
>/usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql directory and run make again and
>check for any errors, also check the make install process for
>errors too.

I have tried a make clean followed by make update (to handle the p5 DBD
dependency) before, but I tried again.

I just did (standing in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql):
   188  17:29   sudo pkg_delete p5-pgsql-1.8.1
   189  17:29   sudo pkg_delete p5-DBD-postgresql-0.93
   190  17:29   sudo pkg_delete postgresql
   191  17:30   sudo rm -rf /usr/pkg/pgsql
   193  17:30   sudo vipw
                    # deleted my manually added pgsql user
   196  17:31   sudo make clean
   197  17:31   sudo make distclean
   200  17:31   make
   201  17:44   sudo make install

(a few ls'es and such omitted)

>Finally, you did it it as root, right?

As lhp (member of wheel); make install asks for root password, isn't that
enough? This time I used sudo for the install, no difference.

In the beginning of the install it says:

===> Installing for postgresql-7.0.2
/usr/bin/sed    -e 's|@PGUSER@|pgsql|g'  -e 's|@PGHOME@|/usr/pkg/pgsql|g'
< /usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/pkg/DEINSTALL >
/usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/work/DEINSTALL
/usr/bin/sed    -e 's|@PGUSER@|pgsql|g'  -e 's|@PGGROUP@|ingres|g'  -e
's|@PGHOME@|/usr/pkg/pgsql|g'  -e 's|@USERDIR@|/usr/sbin|g'  <
/usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/pkg/INSTALL >
/usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/work/INSTALL
PKG_PREFIX=/usr/pkg /bin/sh /usr/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/work/INSTALL
postgresql-7.0.2 PRE-INSTALL
Dump existing databases, before installing new db version !!
Group 'ingres' already exists...proceeding.
Creating 'pgsql' user...
user: home directory `/usr/pkg/pgsql' already exists
Done.

So it _claims_ to create user pgsql, but it really doesn't. That's what I
find confusing.

/usr/pkg/pgsql now has ingres as group, but root as owner.

Ahh, I think I see something now: could it be that the install creates
/usr/pkg/pgsql, then user add sees it, and fails to create the user?

work/INSTALL creates the user with
                echo "Creating '${USER}' user..."
                ${USERDIR}/user add \
                        -c "PostgreSQL database administrator" \
                        -d ${PGHOME} \
                        -g ${GROUP} -s /bin/sh ${USER}
                echo "Done."

I just tried:
sudo user add -c "Testing user creation" -d /tmp -g ingres -s /bin/sh pgtest

and got:
user: home directory `/tmp' already exists

And user pgtest was not created. This must be it: something has changed in
useradd between ALPHA2 and BETA2 I guess? Should I file a bug report?

-Lasse