Subject: Re: raidframe
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Ben Collver <collver@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/2000 16:23:07
> It's been a while since I looked at this problem, but it *could* be the case
> that it only shows up on a reboot.... Can you:
>   1) verify that parity on raid0 is "clean" (and if it isn't, clean it :) )
# raidctl -s raid0 | grep Parity
Parity status: clean
Parity Re-write is 100% complete.

>   2) make sure raid0b is being used for swap, and cause the machine to swap
> 	some.
# swapctl -a /dev/raid0b
# ./eatmem &
# swapctl -l
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/dev/raid0b    262144    97084   165060    37%    0

>   3) do the 'swapctl -d /dev/raid0b'
# swapctl -d /dev/raid0b

At this point the machine locks up solid.  After rebooting, rebuildng
parity, etc., I redo steps 1 and 2 above.  Then I terminate eatmem and
resume.

# swapctl -l
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/dev/raid0b    262144     1624   260520     1%    0
# swapctl -d /dev/raid0b

>  4) verify again that the parity is still clean.
# raidctl -s raid0 | grep Parity
Parity status: clean
Parity Re-write is 100% complete.

>  5) do a shutdown -r
# shutdown -r now
Shutdown NOW!
shutdown: [pid 373]

>  6) when the machine comes back, check the status of the parity on raid0..
>I'm curious to know if it's DIRTY, or clean.
>
>If it's dirty, then something is quite wrong somewhere.  If it's clean, then
>the "parity becomes dirty" problem is related to shutting down the system.
>My guess is that the 'swapctl -d' doesn't have enough time to do it's
>job on a 'shutdown'...

When the machine came back up, the parity status is DIRTY.  Did I do
something wrong?  If further tests would be helpful, please tell me what to
do :)

Ben
--
"We all believe that BSD is the One True OS" --Paul Vixie, 1992