Subject: Re: shared libraries and interlibrary dependencies
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2000 13:24:44
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Brook Milligan wrote:

: I'm having troubles with several packages or other software that uses
: shared libraries and I'm not entirely sure I understand how to
: construct them.  The objects are created with cc -fPIC ... .  The
: library is created with cc -Bshareable -o xxx.so ... .  The problem I
: have is that this results in "undefined symbol" references and the
: library creation fails.  This is on an a.out (i386) system.

On i386 a.out, you must use "ld -Bshareable", not "cc -Bshareable".  The
latter doesn't work on any system, and "cc -shared" only works on the newest
a.out and ELF setups.  "ld -Bshareable" works on everything.

Most of your problems probably come from this error.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/