Subject: Re: Telnet in NetBSD 1.4.2
To: <>
From: Shane D. <sdawalt@millennium.wright.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/03/2000 09:30:11
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:05:53AM -0500, Shane D wrote:
> >
> >   I have found an odd problem with telnetd on NetBSD 1.4.2.  It gets
> > irritated when connected to by Hummingbird 6.2.0 Telnet.  When I connect
> > I get the normal user and password prompts, but then things hang.  I do
> > not get a shell prompt nor even the motd text.  From the lastlog I see
> > my login, but it also shows that I logged out immediately (which is not
> > true).  On the hummingbird side, I get no text beyond the "password:"
> > prompt.  The socket remains open because I do not receive a disconnect
> > [...]
>
> Try to start telnetd with the '-k' option. You have to specify this in
> /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd.

  Wow ... that's the ticket!  With the -k option, hummingbird's telnet
works well.  I see that -k fiddles with line mode.  Hummingbird's
properties allows line mode to "never" be used or allows for other
options.  I'm going to try to play with this; maybe its just a property
problem.

  Shane

--
Shane D
"Silence is the oft-forgotten seasoning in the stew of wisdom."