Subject: Telnet in NetBSD 1.4.2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Shane A. Dawalt <sdawalt@millennium.wright.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2000 09:05:53
  I have found an odd problem with telnetd on NetBSD 1.4.2.  It gets
irritated when connected to by Hummingbird 6.2.0 Telnet.  When I connect
I get the normal user and password prompts, but then things hang.  I do
not get a shell prompt nor even the motd text.  From the lastlog I see
my login, but it also shows that I logged out immediately (which is not
true).  On the hummingbird side, I get no text beyond the "password:"
prompt.  The socket remains open because I do not receive a disconnect
message from Hummingbird.  I have not looked at netstat yet though.
I've tried to whiddle down the options that Hummingbird uses (set screen
size, initiate negotiation first, etc), but it hasn't helped.  I can
successfully get logged in if I use the Win95 supplied telnet.  This
seems to exclude the possibility of a remove login configuration error
on the unix side of things.  Anybody have any ideas??  (I haven't done
much futzing with the defaults as provided by the binary installation
packs.)

  Shane

--
Shane D.
"Silence is the oft-forgotten seasoning in the stew of wisdom."