Subject: Re: r/o filesystem restrictions for firewall?
To: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/23/2000 18:17:10
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

# Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:00:03 -0400 (EDT)
# From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
# To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
# Cc: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>, port-sparc@netbsd.org,
#      netbsd-help@netbsd.org
#
# On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:
#
# >Correct.  I want [read: need] this box to be:
# >
# >1) Insert NetBSD CD mod'd to be a firewall,
# >2) Boot
# >3) Enjoy
# >
# >[lather, rinse, repeat]
#
# Then mounting the CD as the root filesystem is not the way to go.  I
# would recommend creating a bootable CDROM that does nothing but write
# out a disk image to your hard drive.  Then the box can be a fully
# functional NetBSD machine with a r/w root filesystem.  Then if the box
# gets rooted, you simply pop the CD in, and flip the switch and your
# drive will get rewritten.

Idea:

Mount it as your root disk.
Tar up /dev.
mount /dev as a mfs.
extract from the tarred-up /dev.

Somehow.

				--*greywolf;
--
If anyone requests a reason as to why Windows NT is inferior to UNIX,
refer them to the process scheduler, for starters.  Of course, users