Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/2000 20:38:16
> > (I also remember some people saying/implying that some camera systems
> > ``just work'' if you mount them as umass filesystems.  If so, which (if
> > any) work this way?)
>
> I believe the Casio QV3000 will look like a wd* to the usb drivers. At
> least it does this under M$ according to quite a few reports.  That
> camera about $700 though.

$700 is a bit steep, for me.  If I decide that I need such a camera, I can
treat a cheaper first camera as a learning tool (and may even still have
use for it).

> > Actually, at a local Micro Center, I saw a D-Link $120 camera that does up
> > to 1024x768; it's only interface is via USB.
>
> The quickcam-like things that I saw all seemed to take pretty awful

This might suffer the same problems.  I can't find out until I get a
picture loaded from it, though.  If I can't bring up a picture (or if it
looks awful) within 30 days, then I can just return it and consider
something a bit more expensive again.

(At present, if the camera is on when connected to the computer, it gets
recognized as ugen0.  gPhoto out of pkgsrc doesn't seem to even be
prepared to think about USB---do I need a more recent version of gPhoto
than is in pkgsrc to try?)

(I am still naively assuming that there is something that looks enough
like a standard protocol that something like gPhoto might work, if I can
nudge it in the right way.  (^&)

I may check the quality on an MS-Windows machine that I can get my hands
on.  If you are right, it may not be worth making much of a fuss over the
camera.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu