Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/2000 19:25:52
I remembered seeing someone talking about the Nikon's weirdness (on
current-users, maybe?)  I wasn't aware that they used common firmware.
(I also remember some people saying/implying that some camera systems
``just work'' if you mount them as umass filesystems.  If so, which (if
any) work this way?)

PCMCIA vs USB isn't too important to me, save that my computer can speak
USB already. (^&

Actually, at a local Micro Center, I saw a D-Link $120 camera that does up
to 1024x768; it's only interface is via USB.  Since they have a no-hassles
(and no-restocking fee) 30-day return policy, I thought that at that price
I'd be willing to try even a lossy JPEG images.  (At 1024x768, I can
always image-process/reduce the image to a suitable size, and may get
suitable textures that way.  It's also tiny enough, and cheap enough, that
I can just carry it with me even when I'm not expecting to use it.)

I am going to see if I have a ghost of a chance to use this thing,
now.  I've got 30 days.  (^&  If people are interested, I'll let you know
how it turns out.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu