Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/2000 15:08:23
>  >  * Olympus claims an uncompressed image mode among its features.
>  >    (Presumably, this is a lossless format.  (^&)
>
> err, or as 'lossless' as digital can be.

Touche'.  (^&

>  > Any guidence w.r.t. cameras that work with our favorite OS would be
>  > appreciated.  (Experiences re. camera reliability, and practical advice on
 [...]
> While not USB, I was pleased to try a friends Kodak somethingorother with
> the CompactFlash cards.  He had a 64MB card and the little CF to PCMCIA
> adapter.  I slid it into my Toshiba laptop running NetBSD 1.4something
> and proceeded to mount the CF card as an MSDOS filesystem and look at the

That would be nice, if I could do PCMCIA.  (Am I right in remembering that
there are PCMCIA interfaces that you can put into regular desktops?  If
so, roughly what do they tend to cost, and do they work with NetBSD?)

> As far as I'm concerned, that's the level of functionality I'd find most
> optimal.  I can carry extra 'film' with me on a holiday or whatever and not
> have to lug my laptop around...

I thought that the ability to swap ``digital film'' cards was fairly
standard.  (The Olympus D-360L uses ``Smart Media'' cards, which I think
are non-volatile---they have to be non-volatile if you take them out of
the camera to put them into readers.)

Thanks, though.  I'll look at the Kodiak.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu