Subject: Re: Digital cameras (USB esp.) on NetBSD.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/2000 02:39:59
Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>  wrote:
 >  * Olympus claims an uncompressed image mode among its features.
 >    (Presumably, this is a lossless format.  (^&)

err, or as 'lossless' as digital can be.

 > Any guidence w.r.t. cameras that work with our favorite OS would be
 > appreciated.  (Experiences re. camera reliability, and practical advice on
 > making texture maps also welcome---though those topics aren't so related
 > to this mailing list.  (^&)

While not USB, I was pleased to try a friends Kodak somethingorother with
the CompactFlash cards.  He had a 64MB card and the little CF to PCMCIA
adapter.  I slid it into my Toshiba laptop running NetBSD 1.4something
and proceeded to mount the CF card as an MSDOS filesystem and look at the
jpeg's with 'xv'.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the level of functionality I'd find most
optimal.  I can carry extra 'film' with me on a holiday or whatever and not
have to lug my laptop around...