Subject: 3Com 3C985B-S and Adaptec ASC-39160
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Claude Marinier <marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/2000 09:25:40
Hi,

I just ckecked the 'list of supported devices' and did not find these
devices. Will they be supported by NetBSD 1.5 (i386) ?

3Com 3C985B-S		1 Gb/s fiber Ethernet controller
Adaptec ASC-39160	LVD SCSI dual-channel controller

I want to build a file server for a bunch of PCs, some SPARC systems
(Solaris), and an old Alpha (VMS). I will install a 1 Gb/s module in the
Cabletron switch. I have two 36GB LVD disks in a Trimm box and may get
more. I am assuming that I can do this with a low level Celeron in a good
motherboard with two 64-bit PCI slots. Will I gain anything by increasing
the amount of memory above 128 MB? I plan to run NetBSD from a small IDE
drive. Does the speed of the IDE drive matter?

Thanks.

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675