Subject: Re: sendmail help
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/15/2000 23:56:10
On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 8:43 PM, Mark Hattarki
<mailto:gandhiji@acm.csres.utexas.edu> wrote:
>The thing that conscerns me most is the last warining. I think 8.8 is what
>I'm running (unlike most unix utiilities, there is no -V or --version).
>But, the date on the link /etc/sbin/sendmail and /usr/sbin/mailwrapper are
>both preinstall (they came with the install).

We did not see your .m4 to go with the error messages.

Since you are installing sendmail 8.11.0 from pkg I take it
you are running something other than 1.5ALPHA2 or -current
as to why you need a newer version of sendmail from what is
shipped in base.tgz?

It would be better to get the old version of sendmail
going first, then when you have a working setup you
should find it easy to upgrade.

Sendmail has a plethora of debugging options.

Example:
# sendmail -d0.11 -bp
Version 8.11.0
 Compiled with: MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND
                NETINET NETINET6 NETISO NETUNIX NEWDB NIS QUEUE SCANF SMTP
                TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG
    OS Defines: HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD HASFLOCK HASGETDTABLESIZE
                HASGETUSERSHELL HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT HASRANDOM
HASSETREUID
                HASSETRLIMIT HASSETSID HASSETVBUF HASSNPRINTF HAS_ST_GEN
                HASURANDOMDEV HASSTRERROR HASUNAME HASUNSETENV HASWAITPID
                IDENTPROTO IP_SRCROUTE LOCK_ON_OPEN SAFENFSPATHCONF
USESETEUID
Kernel symbols: /netbsd
 Def Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
  Def Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid
canonical name: leopard.zhome.org
        a.k.a.: leopard
 UUCP nodename: leopard
        a.k.a.: [192.168.1.81]
        a.k.a.: [127.0.0.1]

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = leopard
  (canonical domain name) $j = leopard.zhome.org
         (subdomain name) $m = zhome.org
              (node name) $k = leopard

/var/spool/mqueue is empty

>I've been trying to
>install 8.11.0 from the pkgsrc tarball. It fails! I think I may have
>tried it about a month ago, and it may have worked (but did not
>nessesarily remove older files: see above paragraph). When I tried to
>pkg_delete it  and "make reinstall" it still fails because it cannot stat
>a long list of files. I've tried to find other executables on the system
>(before running pkg_delete) but have found none.
>
>So, now I'm stuck. I can't install the new version. M4 is generating a
>sendmail.cf with parse errors.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.