Subject: RE: ping: sendto: host is down
To: Christoph Leuzinger <christoph.leuzinger@westworks.ch>
From: Jonathan Burdge <darc@w-link.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/14/2000 14:33:59
I'm having a similair problem with an alpha that I'm trying to get 1.4.2
installed on, except mine is happening even before the ftp installation.  I
tried to do an ftp install and of course failed.  However, I'm having all
the same symptoms, all I can hit is loopback.

I sniffed the wire my machine was on and it's not sending a single packet
out.  Since my route tables looked correct, and I'm assuming yours do as
well, the problem is probably somewhere else.

My friend told me he had run into the same problem before and he fixed it by
changing the media setting for the ethernet card.  I haven't had time to
investigate further since his suggestion

Are you really running 10base2?  Perhaps, if you're not certain what the
media setting should be, you could boot off of an install disk and compare
the settings, since it appeared to work correctly under the install disk.

Sorry if I'm repeating earlier advice, but I've been having trouble with
email lately.

-lb