Subject: Re: exit() strangeness with pth thread package...
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/2000 21:25:27
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Brian Stark wrote:

: I am using pth-1.3.7 (GNU Portable Thread library) and exit() won't
: exit. I have a small test program that has a main like this:

: The basic purpose of the program seems to work (it does some testing with
: POSIX threads) and pthread_name_test() returns control to main() for
: execution. Executing the program produces output like this:

: 0x480b992c in pth_mutex_release ()

The pthread emulation in pth, while gleefully portable, is *NOT* POSIX
threads.  pth uses *cooperative* scheduling, so expecting exit(2) to Just
Exit may depend on some things.  I'd need to see the full source to be sure
you aren't still spinning the CPU in some thread.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/