Subject: Re: xamp-dependency problem
To: Hans de Hartog <dehartog@mail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2000 09:20:17
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Hans de Hartog wrote:

> I'm running 1.4.2 on i386.
> According to the package collection, xamp-0.8.7
> depends on qt1-1.44. So I installed that.
> Then, trying to install xamp, it tells me that
> it cannot resolve the dependency on qt-1.44
> (note the missing '1' between the 't' and the
> '-').

The dependencies that are listed on the web page are always for the
_latest_ pkgsrc. All the binaries were naturally built some time in
the _past_, from a past pkgsrc. One of the best ways to satisfy the
dependencies embedded in the binary package is usually to
"pkg_add" the URL of the binary pacakge directly. In this case, it
wouldn't help, though, because the "qt" that that binary package was
build against is gone.

> What do I have to do now? I tried to build from
> sources (/usr/pkgsrc/x11/qt) but (after a long
> long time) I ended up with qt2 being installed
> which still did not satisfy xamp.

Since you already have qt1 installed from binary, just build xamp from
source. I'll remove the obsolete xamp binary package from the server.
We have better tools now for catching this -- "make package", e.g.
will build and package all the dependencies, so hopefully, after
1.4.3/1.5 are released we'll get a new baseline of binary packages
that's free of these problems.