Subject: Re: ping: sendto: host is down
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2000 02:20:23
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jason R. Fink wrote:

[snip stuff about network not working although the interfaces do]

I solved my problems, both on the 1.5_ALPHA2 amiga and the
1.4.2 i386 firewall that I am currently using:

The problem with my amiga was that I had typed in the wrong
IP-address to my DNS. Apparently, NetBSD network utilities
(ping, traceroute...) will attempt to contact the DNS even
if supplied with an IP-address[0]. When I fixed the bad DNS
address everything automagically started working just fine!

On the i386 it was a completely different problem (the DNS
addresses were correct): An EPROM option of the external-link
NIC that doesn't show up with ifconfig et al was wrong, and
when I changed it, everything worked fine.

I now have a neatly working little intranet, sharing my
single real-world IP through the NATing i386 box, and
I'm happier than ever with this fantastic OS. :-)

In short, they were all EBSAC-errors[1]. ;O)

[0] Maybe this should be documented? Pinging an IP-address
    will seem to fail if the DNS is unreachable, which is
    very confusing (IMHO).

[1] Error Between Screen And Chair. ;o)

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali