Subject: Re: ping: sendto: host is down
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2000 03:52:41
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Jason R. Fink wrote:

> Christoph,
>
> Have you tried just using ifconfig?

I have an 1.4.2/i386 box (486dx2/66) at home. After the upgrade
to 1.4.2, I seem unable to get networking to work. I can't even
ping my gateway. Ifconfig:ing the interfaces and pinging the
interfaces' own IPs works fine. Everything seems to work, but
the network's just gone.

Tonight I succesfully[0] installed NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 on my Amiga
to get my BSD fix while using that one too. It was previously
running a quite well working port-amiga/1.4.1-GENERIC kernel.
After the install and configuration, I get the same phenomenon
on the amiga! I ran tcpdump and got lots of broadcast traffic,
but ping/traceroute/<insert tool here> won't work. It won't
send! IP-numbers were used while pinging and tracerouting, so
it shouldn't be due to the (not yet configured) DNS stuff.

At first I thought my i386 problem was due to my compiling a
custom kernel (for my two NE2k ISA NICs) with ipf/ipnat enabled,
but it doesn't seem to be connected to ipnat/ipf (because it
doesn't work after a reboot disabling those either).

Did something seriously break somwhere in 1.4.2?

On the amiga side, I get the usual "le0: lost carrier" message
I've gotten on it since 1.3.3 (it says so when the Ariadne card
is first configured but it works: used to anyway). This does
not happen on the ne0 and ne1 interfaces of the i386 box.

Sorry for the cross-posting, but this is exactly what I am
experiencing on both my i386 and now also on my newly installed
1.5_ALPHA2 amiga.

/ali - distressed! ;(