Subject: Re: compatible mainboards
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/06/2000 19:52:29
On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 08:49:22AM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> In evaluating mainboards I have found the extensive lists of chipset
> support on the web page and in the drivers to be quite helpful at
> identifying potential compatibility problems.  However, I am less
> clear on the support required for the core chipsets.
>
> - What OS support is required (if any) for that part of the system?

The core chipset should "just work"; it's usually the BIOS's job of setting
it up. I don't think windows has specific drivers for it either.

The core chipset can also include peripherals such as IDE controllers,
VGA display, sound, ... You may want to make sure these are supported by
NetBSD/XFree.

I have NetBSD running on various motherboards based intel, VIA, SiS or Acer
Labs chipsets.

> - Can mainboards be evaluated without consideration of the core
>   chipsets?  If not, how should compatibility be evaluated?

If they can run windows without specific drivers (i.e. if you can install
windows without a special windows distrib and boot floppy) then NetBSD will
run on it. Now you should also evaluate performances:
- check for a supported IDE controller, to have working DMA or (most likely
  today) Ultra-DMA
- Also check for memory bandwith, and quality of the PCI core. This is hard to
  know without filling up the machine with PCI adapters and running
  benchmarks.

> - As a specific example, are the core chipsets on the Intel L440GX+
>   and/or on the ASUS KT133-based boards supported?  How would I be
>   able to determine that from the available NetBSD docs?

You'd need to have the name for each part of the chipset.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>