Subject: Re: compatible mainboards
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/05/2000 21:18:09
Hi,

I installed NetBSD on several boards, starting with some weird 486
chipsets (octec boards), Intels PPro chipsets, Via and ALI SS7,
Intels great BX, AMD 750 and Via KX133. And on some notebooks.

Be aware, that I mostly exclusively used SCSI peripherals. If what I
read out of the postings in several MLs problems can be with
functionalities integrated into chipsets, that are IDE/Atapi interfaces,
APM, ACAPI, and others (there were some Intel based grafic cards
that need a kernel driver for X that I thought were integrated to some
Intel boards).

For example I will try to install NetBSD on a Sony Vaio F-290 (the
owner lost the MS driverdisks), I expect no real problems, but I do
not expect, such things as powersaving, suspend to disk and such to
work "out of the box", (and I will not try to make them work as this is
just to verfy the notebook is not malfunctioning).

So if you do need some of the mentioned functionality, better ask
(probably in the users ML)before you buy and/or expect some work.

Please correct me If I said something wrong.

mike