Subject: Re: wscons Sun emulation.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2000 01:38:16
Thanks for the exlanations.  The jump-scrolling makes sense (I remember
how my old Amigas scrolled text; (^&).

Could we get a sentence or a short paragraph about this in the
wscons(4) man-page?  I think that I can send-pr a suggested change, if I
can remember a little bit of *roff.  Something along these lines, say:

 [...]

.Pp
Other than being smaller, the advantage to the
.Dq sun
console emulation is that it supports an escape sequence to enable
jump-scrolling.  I.e., when the cursor moves past the bottom of the
screen, the display can scroll multiple lines.  This is an optimization
for bitmapped displays where scrolling is expensive, and should not be
necessary for consoles using hardware text-mode.

 [...]

(Appeneded to the end of the .It sun segment of the wscons(4) man-page.)

Of course, if someone wants to beat me to it, and/or offers a more concise
summary...(^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu