Subject: Re: wscons Sun emulation.
To: None <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2000 00:26:10
        ..while on the topic of terminals and SPARCs etc., I understand
        that the pcons(?) driver for NetBSD/SPARC is basically a frontend
        for the PROM console-driver? I am very right now in need of writing
        a console-driver for UltraSPARC-1, and well if there is a PROM
        interface I can use and the NetBSD sources will help me figure it
        out it would be great. Is it correct that the PROM in SPARCs have a
        interface for its internal terminal-driver that I can use in
        "applications" (e.g. a kernel)?

No need to write a console driver for UltraSPARC machines:

        pcons is a driver for the PROM console and can be used if no
        other drviers are available.

        The zs driver is fully functional (modulo some spl() issues that
        came with the SMP scheduler changes) and works for both keyboard/
        mouse and standard serial ports.

        I have a functional SUNKBD line discipline that can be combined
        with the `com' driver to handle keyboards attached to `su' and
        `su_pnp' devices.  (The eventual plan is to replace the current
        zs_kbd and zs_ms goo with this cleaner line discipline solution
        for all Sun machines.)

This leaves the siemens SAB82532 (`se') serial driver and frame buffer
drivers for `ffb' and vga devices.  I started on an sab driver some time
ago but never got very far.

If you would like to help then it would be more productive to develop
an sab driver or try to get the SUNKBD line discipline driver working
with the zstty driver so we can get rid of zs_kbd and zs_mouse.

Eduardo