Subject: Re: Problems with IPF/NAT
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/2000 07:27:58
On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Paul Newhouse wrote:

[large, gratutitous snip]

> Can anybody give me some clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

First, get ipf out of the picture just to see if IP is working.  Use just
NAT and regular IP to see if simple IP is working.  ipf will just
complicate things until IP is working.

My bet is on an incorrect route.  Is a destination off tlp0 your default
route?  If the ping ain't coming from a 24.x.x.x address, then it's not going to
"prefer" the ne0 interface when responding, even though the response
originates from a 24.x.x.x address.

Do a 'netstat -nr' and see what the default route is.

That's my first guess, at least.

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"