Subject: Re: Why ELF? (Was: elf->a.out)
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2000 23:06:50
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Richard Rauch wrote:

> Um, as I remember reading, some ports have always been ELF.  And aren't
> some still on a.out?  If I am right, the question of why move to ELF (or
> even if one has moved to ELF, or has to ``move'' to get to ELF) is
> platform specific, and would be better answered on a port-* list.  Yes?
> No?

  No, it is still a general question even though each port is able to
choose.  ELF is the standard NetBSD format, and I believe all ports will
be ELF in the next release or two after 1.5.

  Even if ELF isn't perfect, it is standard on all modern UNIX systems so
there would need to be a very good reason for NetBSD not to use it.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net