Subject: Python (pkg) and Tkinter
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2000 19:27:58
Tkinter is supposed to be part of Python, now.  When I run a program using
Pmw (a widget collection built on top of Tkinter---Tkinter is a TK
interface module for Python), or even pysol (a Python solitaire game in
pkgsrc), I get results such as:

 /~~~

$  pysol
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "pysol.py", line 98, in ?
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 8, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: /usr/pkg/lib/libtk80.so.1: Undefined PLT symbol
"XOpenDisplay" (reloc type = 7, symnum = 528)

PySol cannot find the Tkinter Python libraries.
Please check your Python installation.

$

 \___

The system in question is a 1.5_ALPHA i386, with XFree86 4.0 for giggles.

Is this a known bug?  (I know that I was able to use Tkinter last spring
under NetBSD 1.4.1 and XFree86 3.3.6.)  Or is it likely to be an XFree86
4.0 bug?  Or maybe a pkgsrc feature will let me control this with a
variable?

If need be, I can upgrade pkgsrc or swap back to XFree86 3.3.6.  Doing
either one would involve deleting every existing package and then
rebuilding all of the ones that I want.  I'd rather avoid that if I
can.  I'd especially rather not have to do it more than once.  (^&

Thanks in advance for any information.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu