Subject: upgrading a floppyless i386 box from 1.4.2 to 1.5_ALPHA
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2000 10:17:36
I need to upgrade my Netpliance iopener (basically a floppyless
notebook) from 1.4.2 to 1.5_ALPHA, and am wondering if it is possible
to do so without booting from a floppy. The straightforward way to do
this would be to remove the iopener's hard drive, install it in
another PC with a floppy drive, boot from floppy, do the upgrade, then
transfer the hard drive back to the iopener, but I don't have a PC
available to me at the moment.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to boot my iopener into NetBSD
1.4.2, download all the sets for 1.5_ALPHA, untar them into the proper
locations, and then reboot into 1.5_ALPHA? Would I start with the
1.5_ALPHA kernel or should I install all of the other sets first?
Would I run the risk of ending up with a partial installation and a
kernel and system binaries from different distributions that won't
talk to one another?

Thanks for any help or information.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net