Subject: Re: 2048 bytes per sector
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2000 19:15:23
On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 10:55:45AM -0600, Trevin Beattie wrote:
> I've recently discovered an amazing thing: FreeBSD works with 2048
> bps drives, and apparently has supported them for at least a year!  I
> was able to initialize a 640MB optical disk with ffs and write files
> to it with no problems whatsoever.
>
> Since FreeBSD and NetBSD are both based on 4.4BSD, how hard can it be
> to merge in the support for arbitrary sector sizes?  Although I could

Quite hard. This affects large parts of the buffer cache, which have
diverged significantly between NetBSD and FreeBSD.
However, the ubc code (which should be merged in -current when 1.5 is released;
you can also get it from anoncvs) supports this.

> just scrap NetBSD and switch over to FreeBSD, I really don't want to
> because NetBSD seems a bit easier to administrate, and parts of
> FreeBSD are too Linux-ish.
>
> I also read that someone in FreeBSD in working on adding write
> functions to the CD driver, in order to support writing DVD-RAM disks
> (it's apparently impossible to attach DVD drives to the SD driver).
> We ought to have somebody in NetBSD do the same mods--once we get
> 2048-byte sector support integrated.

Shoudl't be hard.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>