Subject: 2048 bytes per sector
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2000 10:55:45
I've recently discovered an amazing thing: FreeBSD works with 2048
bps drives, and apparently has supported them for at least a year!  I
was able to initialize a 640MB optical disk with ffs and write files
to it with no problems whatsoever.

Since FreeBSD and NetBSD are both based on 4.4BSD, how hard can it be
to merge in the support for arbitrary sector sizes?  Although I could
just scrap NetBSD and switch over to FreeBSD, I really don't want to
because NetBSD seems a bit easier to administrate, and parts of
FreeBSD are too Linux-ish.

I also read that someone in FreeBSD in working on adding write
functions to the CD driver, in order to support writing DVD-RAM disks
(it's apparently impossible to attach DVD drives to the SD driver).
We ought to have somebody in NetBSD do the same mods--once we get
2048-byte sector support integrated.

--- Trevin Beattie
Real programmers don't bring brown-bag lunches.  If the vending
machine doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.  Vending machines
don't sell quiche.