Subject: cdrecord & Yamaha CDRW 6416sz
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/30/2000 23:55:48
A quick check of the netbsd-help archives for ``cdrecord'' came up empty,
so I'm posting.  A URL to an answer or a helpful related thread would be
nice.  Any help at all would be appreciated.

The basic questions: Does anyone have a Yamaha 6416 CDRW drive working
with cdrecord?  Am I doing something dumb?  Is there a simple fix?
(Selected dmesg output at end...)

I picked up what looked like a good deal on a SCSI CD-RW; the Yamaha
6416sz.  The 6416 (no sz suffix) is listed as a supported model in the
cdrecord package, and the Yamaha drives seem to always have these
suffices, so I assume that it's just an abbreviation on the part of
cdrecord when it speaks of the ``6416''.  So far, I'm meeting resistance
when I try to use this thing.  cdrecord-1.8 complains about the SCSI
driver not being found, but I can't readily tell whether it means a shared
library, an internal interface, or what...

The drive seems to work if I mount it as a CD-ROM.  There is a tape-drive
on the same system which comes after the CD-RW on the cable, so
termination doesn't seem like a likely problem.

I've tried both cdrecord and cdrecord-current out of pkgsrc, and have met
with no luck.

I've tried building an ISO filesystem (using /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles as a
source and skimping on boot/bootcatalog stuff that I don't need at the
moment), following the example from the NetBSD FAQ for burning a CD.

With /dev/cd1? as the Yamaha (cd0? is an ATAPI CD-ROM), I have tried
several variations, with following results:

Variation #1: Command straight out of the FAQ.

rkr# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=/dev/cd1c output.iso
Cdrecord 1.9a01 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/cd1c'
devname: '/dev/cd1c'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

Variation #2: Use bus,dev,unit triple for device; otherwise as #1.

rkr# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,3,0 output.iso
Cdrecord 1.9a01 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,3,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

Variation #3: Specify driver explicitly; otherwise as #1.

rkr# cdrecord -v speed=4 driver=scsi2_cd dev=/dev/cd1c output.iso
Cdrecord 1.9a01 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/cd1c'
devname: '/dev/cd1c'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

I'm bothered that the scsibus addresses are screwed up when I use
/dev/??? devices.  It's not clear to me from the man page whether this is
expected behavior.

A further variation: If I use {r,}cd1a for the device, it at least
flickers the drive light, but gives the same error.

 /~~~ dmesg

rkr# dmesg
NetBSD 1.4.1 (olibGENERIC) #5: Fri May 19 08:41:51 CDT 2000
    root@rkr.kcnet.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/olibGENERIC
 [...]
pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6102B, 9200402983, 1106> type
5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bits data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 2
pciide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (using DMA data
 [...]
wsdisplay0 at vga1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
ahc0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 9
ahc0: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0 channel 0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
ahc0: target 3 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
cd1 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <YAMAHA, CRW6416S, 1.0c> SCSI2 5/cdrom
removable
ahc0: target 4 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
 [...]

 \___ dmesg

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com