Subject: How to find network device...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Lets Go Canes! <LetsGoCanes@webmail.bellsouth.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2000 15:56:29
Hi all.

     Just installed NetBSD on a Sony VAIO PCG-F360 laptop.  This laptop has a docking station with an Ethernet port.  I'm trying to configure the network, but first I need to know which device to use with ifconfig.

    So, how does one tell which device is the network adapter?

    On a related note, netstat -i lists the interfaces provided below.  Can someone please confirm the identity of the inerfaces, and indicate what the unknown (to me) interfaces are?

lo0 - loopback
ppp0 - point-to-point
ppp1 - point-to-point (different from ppp0?)
sl0 - SLIP
sl1 - SLIP (different from sl0?)
strip - ???
strip - ??? (yes, it is listed twice; truncated name?)
tun0 - ???  IP tunnel of some sort?
tun1 - ???  IP tunnel of some sort?
gre0 - ???
gre1 - ???