Subject: Re: News Server
To: Scott Guthrie <Scott.Guthrie@mis-inc.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/27/2000 14:14:28
On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 01:56:51PM -0400, Scott Guthrie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have requested info previously about newsgroup software, and did get a
> helpful response, however I'm not sure newsgroup software (e.g. INN) is what
> I need to accomplish the following:
>
> I would like to have staff at my site be able to follow message threads,
> such as the following example from deja.com:
>
> http://x67.deja.com/topics_ct.xp?search=next&offset=25&CONTEXT=962128116.210
> 5868357
>
> Are these "Forums" the same thing as newsgroups?  Or should I be looking at
> another type of software?

Where? Newsgroups and "usenet" have specific meanings, but "forum" or
"discussion group" or whatever could mean just about anything.

> In Addition, I would like to present these to the user through a browser, as
> opposed to a newsgroup reader.  Do I need more that just the newsgroup
> software??  Or will "INN" pull out the messages, and organize into a
> hierarchical structure.

Ok, let me get this straight: You want software that presents a nice,
pretty HTML interface (in a web browser) to newsgroups or "Forums". You
want said interface to be able to present a heirarchical structure,
basically threaded.

Did I get that right?

INN may or may not be needed. INN maintains a database of newsgroups
and articles, keeping track of dups, cross-posts, etc. INN can expire
groups, handle feeds, etc etc etc. INN is good stuff.

However, INN presents an NNTP interface, but you want an HTML interface.

So, you need to start with a web server. You need to pick a scripting
system to program your system in. Perl is popular, especially with
mod_perl for Apache. Personally I prefer to program in Python but
mod_perl is tons better than mod_python.

Your web-server-side scripts will translate news into HTML and back. Also,
the web-server-side scripts will have to be where handling of threads
takes place, since INN doesn't do this (or at least isn't powerful
enough).

I suggest using Apache as your web server. http://www.apache.org/

With mod_perl you can have data in the web server persist between
requests. You need some form of persistance since you don't want your
server reading all the articles to thread them with every request.

As for a database, you can use INN if you want. You may find your needs
are better fit by some other database, eg MySQL or PostgreSQL. Start
with INN I suggest.

I don't personally know of any free software or open source software
web-server-side that can do what you want. I do suggest you check
http://www.freshmeat.net/ to see if anything you can use already
exists. Perhaps you can find a starting place there.

Hope this helps.

Hey, if you get something good going you could release the source
code so "the next guy" has an easier time of it. :)

"35. Yekcim Esuom budgeted $100 for renting a truck. How far can he..."
A Survey of Mathematics with Applications, 5th ed, Angel+Porter, p 293