Subject: Re: dhcp
To: Technolord <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/25/2000 00:56:12
    Date:        Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:28:51 +0200 (CEST)
    From:        Technolord <tld@arena.sci.univr.it>

  | > can't connect to sysconf socket: No such file or directory.
  | Yes, I get the very same error too. But it works anyway, so I haven't dig
  | into it very much :)

That error is irrelevant - sysconf was (as I understand it) an idea from
the dhcp project, which never went anywhere at all.  There is no sysconf
socket, and I don't believe there's ever really likely to be one.

dhclient should probably be patched to not bother attempting to connect,
or at the very least, not to complain when it can't connect (as that is
what always happens).

Whatever the other problems are, they're not related to that.

Petra - for more help with this, you are going to have to find a way to
include some more specific information with your messages - we need to see
output from various commands, and your kernel boot messages, to be able to
suggest something rational to try - otherwise you're just going to keep
getting random guesses for things to try, which is just wasting everyone's
time.

For now, forget dhcp, get your network admin to tell you an address that
you can use (even for just 5 minutes), and configure it manually, as in

	ifconfig ex0 inet N.N.N.N netmask 255.255.255.0

(use the correct netmask) - if that generates any output, send that.
If not, send the result of

	ifconfig -m ex0

after the above command.  Even if the only way is to write down the output
and type it again (but do tell us if you do that so we can allow for typos).

kre