Subject: Re: Hot Dog!!!
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/2000 12:32:59
At 02:56 AM 6/21/00 -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On 20 Jun 2000, Petra Hofmann wrote:
>
>> 1.  configure the 3c905 to log on to network.  dhcp is starting as client.
>
>Simply "touch /etc/dhclient.conf", set "dhclient=YES" in /etc/rc.conf, and
>run "dchlient", or reboot. A more detailed howto may be found at
><http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/dhcp.html>.

If you happen to have multiple ethernet cards on the machine, you'll want
to put the driver name (eg "ex0") of the card you want running dhclient
into dhclient_flags in rc.conf. Otherwise, you'll end up losing the
manually configured IP addresses on the other interfaces.

If you only have a single interface, it isn't necessary.

>> 2.  Print to networked HP 4050tn.  I'm hoping I can config the spooler
to send
>> tcp/ip packets to the Extreme Networks vines print server.

If this printer doesn't have lpr (unix network printer) support, but does
have SMB/Lan Manager/NetBIOS/Microsoft Networking/whatever else you want to
call it support, you can print to it by installing samba, then following
the directions in

   http://www.laine/org/NetBSD/smbprint

(this, or similar, info might be somewhere on netbsd.org now, I'm not sure.)