Subject: Re: Mouse Config
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Kevin Cousins <kevin.cousins@praxa.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/2000 15:55:24
    Petra> The mouse is still inop still not sure why.  It is a PS/2
    Petra> that worked in win95 but the connector uses a db9 to conn to
    Petra> the comm1 serial port.

    Frank> Then it's a serial mouse. If you have

    Frank> Device "/dev/tty00"

    Frank> that's good, but try something else for the Protocol value,
    Frank> perhaps "MouseMan" or "MouseSystems" (I don't know what
    Frank> brand it is).

    Petra> The label on the back reads: Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A
    Petra> Microsoft Corp

A data point: I've just been through this exercise with a COMPAQ
Armada 1700 laptop---how should one tweak XF86 to use the mouse that
was supplied with the machine?  As the machine was provided by my
employer, and as I held low hopes of the inbuilt touchpad behaving
sensibly (and neither had any of the previous users of this machine
who apparently used an external mouse too), I was left with xf86config
and some angst.

In my case, the mouse bears a label on its underside, reading:

  IntelliMouse (R) serial and PS/2 compatible ... Microsoft Corp ...

FWIW, dmesg told me that opms0 had probed successfully, so I tried
several permutations of /dev/pms0, IntelliMouse, PS/2, etc..

What worked for me was "Device /dev/pms0" (because that just happens
to be how mice are connected to this machine.  I could just have
easily thrown a dumb old two button serial mouse onto /dev/tty00), and
"Protocol MouseSystems".

My bonus: the touchpad works a treat!

Rack up NetBSD machine #8 for me! :)

--